Oh spring, the birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, we Michiganders begin to feel the weight of winter slowly melt away. If you’re like most Michigan folk spring feels like a fresh start, a time for cleaning out what has collected over the winter months, a time to take on new projects, and (in our opinion) a time to make sure your home is in tip-top shape!
Michigan winters are rough, on our homes and on us. The big spring-cleaning boom is a great time to check on some items around your house and to make sure you are maintaining your home the best you can.
Take a look at these tips from some of our Pioneer property adjusters on what you should add to your spring-cleaning to-do list:
- Replace the filter in your HVAC system. The air you breathe matters and replacing the filter can ensure that you have a higher air quality in your home. (Your allergies will thank you for this).
- While you’re changing out that filter, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to make sure your air conditioning unit is in working condition and functioning properly before we hit those humid months.
- Clean out your dryer vent. It should be noted that depending on the extent of use, this may need to be done multiple times per year.
- Change out the batteries in your CO2 detectors and smoke alarms (This one is pretty self-explanatory).
- Clean out your gutters. April showers may bring May flowers, but you’ll want to make sure that water from those April showers is directed away from your home.
- Check to make sure your sump pump is in working order. With that big spring thaw water tables can rise.
- Give the caulking/weather stripping around your windows and doors a good once over. When the weather gets “sticky” you’ll want to make sure your cold air is staying in.
Before we know it spring will be over, and we will be diving head first into a beautiful Michigan summer. Why wait to take care of these items when it’s sunny and 75? The sooner you get these tasks checked off that list, the sooner you get to head up north or to the lake! Wherever you choose to spend your marvelous Michigan summers do so knowing that your home has been well taken care of!
Have any questions about what you just read? Please contact your Independent Insurance Agent or email us at email@example.com!